Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Pizza experiment

Today I made a double recipe of pizza dough. This should be good for four pizzas total. I was hungry today, so I made one of them for supper, but as usual I put the rest in the fridge where it will stay until I use it. From casual reading of the Joy of Cooking, I believe this to be a variant of a sponge starter. Either way it takes bland dough to great dough!

As for the experiment I was doing today. The hurdle I am trying to overcome is the dough not rising as much as I would like while it is cooking. It is still fluffed up, but.... not as much as I want. I hit on my potential solution while talking to a friend about frozen pizza and the "rising crust pizza" came to mind. I instantly saw a potential solution, that is, to use chemical leaveners to supplement the yeast. I added 1 tablespoon of baking powder to my double recipe.

However, I unfortunately changed two things in my recipe by accident and botched the execution. I forgot the addition of 4 tablespoons of oil (I used to use olive oil, but now am working with butter) to the dough. As for how I botched the baking powder experiment, I forgot to add it to the dough before kneading it. I had finished when I remembered, so I quickly kneaded in a tablespoon. This means that it is probably poorly distributed and is not a good indication of whether I need to increase or decrease the amount added to the recipe.

All in all, the pizza I made tonight tasted great, and there is enough for leftovers for tommorows lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment