Sunday, September 18, 2011

Funeral Potatoes

There are very few meals that I seem to gorge myself on. The two that come to mind are my mothers Honey Garlic Ribs on Rice (something I have no problem making on my own) and her Funeral Potatoes. My aunts and make them just as well as my mother, but every time I try to make them, even following the same recipe, I fall very short of the mark.

Now I know what your thinking, Funeral Potatoes? What am I doing eating this on a semi-regular basis? Well, a long story short, I've heard this dish called by a number of names, but Funeral Potatoes is what I call it because I liked the name. No I'm not morbid or anything, I just thought it to be a fun name to give to something I enjoy so much. My Aunts and mother all call it a potatoe casserole, but whatever you call it, it is delicious!

All it really is, is hashbrowns in a cheese sauce with buttered cornflakes crushed on top.

You would think that something so simple sounding could be made by anyone! But apparently I am not in that grouping.

Either way, whenever I visit my family and Funeral Potatoes make an appearance on the dinner table, I either finish them all off (which is harder to do now that my Mom has been making more for the meal), or I end up taking a doggy bag home with me. They aren't as good when reheated for a lunch, but they still get ranked really high up on the list of favorite lunches.

No comments:

Post a Comment