Monday, September 19, 2011

Reheated Lasagna lunch

I recently made a vegetarian lasagna (I like meat as much as the next person, but I've had lots of good meat Lasagnas, but never a great one, while I have hat lots of great meatless ones). Nothing special, I tried a few new things and it turned out really well. Probably one of the best ones I've made recently. But those are trivial details compared to how I have discovered how to reheat it for lunches!

My problem was that, Lasagna, doesn't do very well in the microwave for reheating (or at least mine doesn't). It gets soggy and for some reason the cheese doesn't melt, it runs. It still tasted great, but reheated Lasagna is never the same as fresh cooked. Some foods do well reserved, Pizza can be reserved cold or reheated and lose very little of the original "wham, this is good!" This really bothered me, and I wasn't fully enjoying the meal, or at least as much as I could. So, as I had a few lunches that I could experiment with, I did some experiments.

At work I have access to a toaster oven, which does all of the typical toaster oven functions. Toasts, broils and goes up to 450 ºF. But fortunately, it is not located in the lunch room where I eat (rather it is relatively close to my desk, which is where I don't eat, but rather where I work before eating), and the containers that I transport the food to work are plastic, which unfortunatly means that for that "just melted" cheese taste, I need to get some of that freshly melted plastic taste and smell.

My solution? I lined my container with foil! Now don't think I shoved the plastic container wrapped in foil into the toaster oven, 'cause that would be stupid. I would have melted plastic on my foil enclosing my Lasagna, not a tasty combination. I instead removed the foil liner with the Lasagna in it, and placed that in the toaster oven near my desk for 15-20 minutes. I initially tried 350 ºF, but quickly found out that that was too high of a heat and some of the cheese started charring a little ( I noticed it before the charring led to a bad taste, which, is a fine line between good tasting charred and bad tasting burnt). I then turned the temperature down to 200 ºF and let it sit there until I was ready to go for lunch. I grabbed the foil out of the oven and back into the plastic container and headed up to the lunch room.

When I started to eat the Lasagna, it was like eating it straight out of the oven again, there were crispy parts, a nice browning on the cheese, the layers were well heated and not soggy. I was in reheated lunch heaven.

The problem with this in general is that, I am lucky enough to have a toaster oven conveniently close to me that I can shove food in before I go for lunch. So I can keep a semi-close eye on it while I work before going for lunch. I imagine for most people that this isn't the case. For those of you out in Internet land that only have the toaster oven in the lunch room, or worse yet, only a microwave. The only thing I can say is, I'm sorry for your loss, but if you can solve the reheating problem, then I would be more than happy to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment