Saturday, October 1, 2011

Saturday Brunch

So far, I have hosted three Saturday morning brunches, the first two I served waffles. The only condition applied to the participants was to be there on time and to bring a topping of their choice. The first event was a flop, people showed up whenever, but more importantly didn't bring any toppings. Needless to say, my Blueberry syrup was taxed to the max and I was left with none (bummer).

The second event went off much better. People were more on time and everyone brought a topping. We had Nutella, blueberry pie filling, my blueberry syrup, some Aunt Jemimas syrup (never got opened) and few other things. All in all, much more of a successful event.

Today, however I changed the menu around, instead of waffles and bring your own topping, it was Eggs Benedict and show up and eat it. This went well, everyone enjoyed it, and it was a great get together. However, from my side of the story, it wasn't so great. I was in the kitchen the entire time, toasting English muffins, cooking bacon (Pork and Turkey), poaching eggs and assembling the "Bennies", while simultaneously bring the goods out to people to enjoy. I didn't mind this at the time, but in retrospect, it was a social engagement that I wasn't attending, I was merely at it. So as a brunch idea, it is great, but I need to find away of engaging others into the cooking process (kinda hard as my new kitchen is smaller and more cutoff from the rest of my apartment) or prepare everything (or mostly everything) in advance and keep it warm in the oven. That way I can spend more time with my guests, instead of on the periphery making them food. Waffles work better in this sense, because I can bring the iron out to the living room and the waffles can cook right there, in the middle of the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment