Sunday, February 19, 2012

PIZZA!

Well I am back to experimenting with pizza. For now I have putoff testing the chemical leavener in favour of experimenting with other factors. The only things you can really change on a pizza are:
1) Dough
2) Sauce
3) Cheese
4) Toppings

I recently went through the cheese phase (which I will have to go through again). I tried Provolone and Havarti (under recommendation from a cheese monger, err I mean retailer). While good, the cost increase with both compared to Mozzarella was a little prohibitive compared to the flavour imparted. That, and Havarti is hard to shred! I went back to mozzarella, broken and defeated until I realized that Mozzarella comes in multiple different types. The majour differences are the moisture content and milk fat content (As far as I was able to find out, please correct me if I'm wrong).

There were noticiable differences between each cheese, but the two main criteria I selected that I wanted to optimize for was stringyness (I like some, but not a lot) and browning (browned mozzarella tastes much better). This experiment failed, mainly because I didn't cook them side by side or one right after another. I didn't take pictures, and I wrote a quick note on the qualities. There were no real controls and the criteria was entirely objective, no measurments at all. So alas, dear reader, I can't tell you the optimal values for a non-stringy, nicely browning cheese. What did come of this experiment though was a reduction in the amount of cheese I use, I found that I enjoyed the crust with minute amounts of cheese more than the solid sheet in the center. I am still working on finding the optimal cheese amounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment