Thursday, November 25, 2010

How to Crack an Egg - Revisited

In response to a post I made awhile back, about how to crack an egg. I have received some comments about how it does not work as I explained. How egg shell still manages to get into the bowl. Thinking about this has made me consider some points. The first being, "did I describe the procedure differently than I actually perform it?", the next being "Or maybe I'm just superbly gifted at cracking eggs!".

Well I analyzed what I had written and compared it with what I do. The two I believe are still compatible, so my problem became, how to I articulate my words to better describe the act of cracking an egg. I've tried words, heck I've tried pictures, which as we all know is worth a thousand words AND is a fact. This led me to the next logical format, video. So, "Behold, my creations!"


 



First, let me apologize for the stuttering sound in the videos, that is the auto focus doing its bit to be annoying. During the making of the videos, I went through several takes. The problem was not with the actual cracking of the eggs, but rather with holding a video camera AND cracking an egg with both hands, all without the aid of a tripod... I spent way too much time focusing on the camera and not what I was doing in the first two videos and the performance looked terribly amateur, especially since I forgot to turn it off and recorded some extra footage in the first one. The third video was a progression away from that and more towards actually paying attention to what I was doing. The last video (also the only video I'm willing to admit exists, the others are fakes, honestly...) I paid attention entirely to the egg. The theme across all of the videos though, is that of the seven eggs I cracked, not one left any shells in the bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment