Sunday, October 31, 2010

Croutons

First, I must apologize for my lack of postings lately, I don't have a good excuse, so I won't try and make one up. I've been playing this game NetHack and it has consumed a lot of my time, its really addictive. Anyway, I will attempt to set aside the game to post my creations and culinary adventures. I have kept documenting everything, I just haven't been posting.

As always, I have scorned the store bought when I can make a home made version, and in the fashion I do so often, I also avoided store bought ingredients, preferring to make them myself (sadly from store bought base ingredients). So this is actually two stories in one, the story of the French Bread and the story of the Crouton.

This story begins in a land far far away, in a time long forgotten, or rather my kitchen (3 meteres) and two weeks ago. I had made glorious loaves of French Bread, destined to be cubed and made into dry flavored bread known as Croutons.

In times gone by (when I was a child) I didn't like croutons, they were crunchy oddities amongst a bunch of readily chewy salad that was drenched in a salad dressing that I didn't care for to begin with. So as all good stories go, I didn't eat much salad or croutons throughout my teenage years, unless I had to... I was never a fan of adding 50 billion different items to a salad to make it appetizing and then drenching it with salad dressing, I liked simple salads, maybe some iceberg lettuce and some salad dressing; that was it!

About a year ago, I discovered that spinach goes great in a salad, a little bit of iceberg lettuce to give it some diversity and the barest amount of salad dressing I could get away with, and some croutons for some reason. Unlike the soggy ultra-colourful salads of my youth that I didn't much care for, I had a salad that I really enjoyed. The croutons brought new flavour packed cubes that could change the flavour from homogeneous to heterogeneous. Meaning that the salad never got boring, it kept changing between two delicious flavours, ensuring that each time I alternated it was like tasting it for the first time again. I was in salad heaven! I started making lunches out of salads, for awhile people thought I was a vegetarian because I was bringing so many salads for lunch... It wasn't until then that I realized I hadn't disliked the humble crouton, but rather the soggy diverse salads it had been put into.

All of this brings me to the present, when I went to make a salad and I reached into the cupboard where I store the croutons, only to find I had run out and hadn't bothered to tell myself to buy more. I was disheartened, the salad would be able to stand on its own with or without the croutons, but it wouldn't hold the same attraction to me that it had earlier. It was shortly after this that I realized, I was paying money for dry flavoured bread cubes, something that can easily be made in my kitchen. This was a beloved ingredient in my salads that I could make, I would never run out as long as I had the time to make more! A new era had been born!

 I started with a fresh loaf of French Bread, I ended up eating the ones I had made in a previous posting, so I made more and made the loaves with the knowledge I had gained about forming...
 The loaf was cubed and put into a bowl that was much larger than it. This wasn't done to make it look insignificant or because I had misjudged how much a loaf would make, this was to make tossing it easier with the oil and seasonings that I would soon add.
 I sprinkled garlic powder and dill over the bread cubes and then used a pump sprayer filled with Olive Oil as I tossed to evenly coat the cubes with oil. Not too much and not too little. Most importantly, the sprayer ensured that none would be drenched in an excess of oil.
 Once the cubes were coated to what I considered just right, I spread them out onto  a baking sheet and stuck it into an oven. I took it out every 5-10 minutes to toss everything so it would brown evenly.
The end result is delicious dry flavoured bread cubes that I can put into the salads that I love so much. I store them in an air tight ziplock bag in the freezer until I need to call upon there humble powers to elevate a salad to a new level of deliciousness. Also, since having made them, I have found they are a favorite snack of my roommates brother...

No comments:

Post a Comment