Thursday, September 23, 2010

Apple Juice

I've been really busy this last little while, so I apologize for not posting anything...at all.

However, during my absence I was able to process the apples from four different local trees, mostly into juice, but I have some left over for pies and other apple based dishes. I made a total of 8 liters of juice, and I was able to get an unmeasurable amount of apple pulp, which is similar to apple sauce, but not as juicy, though certainly as flavorful.

Alas, I poorly documented this one, so all I have to show for it this time is the canned jars I made.

I labeled each with the date and last name of the person whos tree the apples came from.













The first, second and fourth jars all had very similar apples that I couldn't identify. All of which produced a distinctively different color. The deep red one came from my parents crab apple tree, and arguably tastes the best. But I was raised on it, so I may be biased!








They are fully canned, meaning they are sealed and preserved, meaning they will keep a long time. However, conventional wisdom is to use it up before the first year is over, just to be sure. I store them with only the lids as a precaution, if one of the jars wasn't sealed properly or sanitized, or for whatever reason spoils, it will pop the lid off before the jar explodes. If I left the rim on it and it spoiled, I might have a big mess to clean up!

No comments:

Post a Comment